We have built a roadmap to accompany and guide you in every phase of the innovation journey. Let us help you diagnose where you are and where to go next. Click on the graphic below for details on our approach.
BURNING PLATFORM FOR INNOVATION
- Build a compelling “burning platform” which communicates a powerful business case for innovation and high-lights the risks from not innovating (sufficiently)
- Build the burning platform based on a dual rationale of “fear” and “hope”
- Fear: illustrate the “innovator’s dilemma” of once industry leading companies (e.g. Kodak, Blockbuster) and highlight the parallels to leading pharmacompanys’ situation today
- Hope: describe how meaningful innovation and re-invention can be driven by industry leaders
INNOVATION MANIFESTO AND ROADMAP
- “Recruit” an innovation advisory team of advocates in senior management who will serve as formal and informal champions in the transformation journey (use “burning platform” communication as a vehicle). For a corporate level innovation agenda, members of the innovation advisory team ideally include senior (VP+) members of HR, CFO, BU leaders, Regional leaders (ensure meaningful Emerging Markets participation)
- Conduct workshop)s) with members of innovation core and advisory teams to develop an “innovation manifesto” – what does innovation mean to us, what are core objectives and perspectives on priority innovation platforms, what are individual members’ roles in the transformation journey, etc.
INNOVATION LEADERSHIP PROGRAM
Design and deliver innovation trainings to key leaders in the organization to disseminate the “burning platform for innovation” (i.e. why should we care about innovation) and provide leaders with tools and techniques for driving innovation in their teams and throughout the organization.
INNOVATION TRAINING AND COACHING
Design and deliver innovation trainings to key personnel throughout the organization. Disseminate a “burning platform for innovation” (i.e. why should we care about innovation) and provide tools and techniques for driving innovation, including for questions of day-to-day business. Innovation training can also be designed around specific innovation challenges which provides for practical learning and concrete outputs.
INNOVATION CULTURE AND CAPABILITIES
- Instill a culture of innovation by establishing a need for innovation (see burning platform) and enabling individuals and teams though innovation tools and methodologies (see trainings).
- Establish “innovation values and norms” and ensure that they are actively liven in the organization: use incentives, role descriptions, etc. to help embed innovation values and corresponding behavior in the organization
CHANGE MANAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATION
- Develop a clear picture of a desired “end state” of innovation management at the firm: what specific innovation goals are we targeting, what capabilities are required to attain these goals
- Conduct a status-quo assessment of organizational innovation capabilities and describe the gap between status-quo and end state capabilities
- Develop an innovation capability building programs to bridge the gap between existing and desired capabilities
- Once an innovation agenda and capability program is established create a systematic communication strategy ensuring influential senior leaders serve as active advocates for innovation in the communication rollout
STRATEGIC PORTFOLIO OF INNOVATIONS
Only a long-term innovation program that consistently screens new opportunities secures sustainable success.
INNOVATION OPPORTUNITY MAP
- Develop a comprehensive global innovation scan – using multiple lenses – to identify opportunity spaces for innovation, e.g. current innovations across healthcare ecosystem in different geographies, scenario analysis (e.g. what opportunities arise from “healthcare 2020 scenarios”), current innovations actively pursued by other healthcare leaders and start-ups, etc.
- Highlight different potential innovation platforms within the opportunity map
PRIORITY INNOVATION PLATFORMS
- Evaluate opportunity spaces in terms of impact on corporate topline, feasibility, investment requirements, etc. to prioritize high priority innovation platforms
- For each of the prioritized innovation platforms, use ideation to develop concrete innovation ideas
INNOVATION PIPELINE MANAGEMENT
Manage innovations from early ideas through launch. Along the way proactively discard innovation ideas that don’t meet requirements.1. Generate high quality ideas; resist the urge to require ideas to meet strict parameters. 2. Solidify concepts: expand on the top ideas and generate business rigor around them. 3. Run experiments: test the key hypothesis as quickly and inexpensively as possible. 4. Create a pilot: once the experiments pass muster, you’re ready to further refine your innovation. 5. Launch innovation in the market!
CONTINUOUSLY TRACK AND REFRESH
Success tracking and measurement as well as constant iteration are an integral part of innovation management.
INTERNAL INNOVATION ORGANIZATION
We help you structure your organization to drive innovation.
EXTERNAL INNOVATION NETWORK
Open innovation is not only a buzzword but also a structured approach to boost innovation in your organization. We help you build a systematic way to integrate external resources into your innovation programs.
NETWORKED INNOVATION ECOSYSTEM
Open innovation is a combination of leveraging internal and external resources to advance and accelerate your business. The boundaries between a firm and its environment have become more permeable and a networked innovation ecosystem is a must-have for sustainable success in a fast-changing world.
SENIOR MANAGEMENT INNOVATION
CORPORATE INNOVATION FUNCTION
- Align members of the corporate innovation team around a common vision on the transformation journey
- Create explicit roles and responsibilities